St Cajetan
Joseph Anton Pfaffinger (1684 - 1758)
Diameter 44.00 cm
Diameter 12.00 cm
Base plate 36.00 x 23.00 cm
The sculptures were acquired in 1935 from the Ursuline Convent in Salzburg, but the invoices gave no information on the artist. Franz Martin attributed the works to Georg Josef Fries. Josef Mühlmann removed the newer paintwork. In the 1927 Residenzgalerie inventory book, the works are listed as nos. 28 (now 1004) and 29 (now 1005). In 1999, Johannes Ramharter attributed the sculptures to Pfaffinger, who produced many versions of St Nepomuk after he was beatified in 1721 and subsequently worshipped as the patron of bridges. For a long time, St Nepomuk and St Cajetan were on loan in the collegiate monastery and decanal Church of St Peter in Seekirchen, flanking the high altar on consoles. In 2013, restored by Heidemarie Weixler-Unterer, they were once more displayed in the Residenzgalerie.
Ducke Astrid: Joseph Anton Pfaffinger, St Nepomuk, St Cajetan, in: Ducke Astrid, Habersatter Thomas (Hrsg./Edi.): von | from 0 auf | to 100. Residenzgalerie Salzburg 1923-2023. Salzburg 2023, S./p. 322-323